July 05, 2004

"The hand that rocks the cradle"


My Ma is on a short holiday to Taiwan with Janet (that would be my sister) since 5 days ago.

I think I gotta admit this. I'm a big baby girl, when it comes to my Ma. I share a lot of stories (inspired from tuition, work, friends, my sisters and dad, in that order) with her, and I think my Ma is a super intelligent (tho she often regrets that she didn't even finish primary 3), bubbly, positive, strong and cute (yes, cute) woman. Importantly, she's my buffer between my Pa and me when my Pa attempts (quite effortlessly) to drive me crazy with his need to repeat his questions 4 times (therefore, expects me to repeat my answer 4 times too). It goes something like...

Pa: Are you going out soon?
Me: Not yet.
Pa: You want me to give you a lift to the MRT station?
Me: No need. I'm not going out yet.
Pa: You want to go out soon? I can give you a lift.
Me: *sigh* Not yet...
Pa: What time you going out? I give you a lift, want or not?
Me: ...
Pa: You want a lift or not? (no response from me) Why you don't answer my question?
Me: ...
Pa: Are you going out? Want me to send you?
Me: ...
Pa: ...
Me: No. I can go on my own. No. You please go and start work now. BYEBYE!!!
Pa: Ok lah, so you don't want me to send you?
Me: BYE!!!

Sounds funny? Try being talked to like this at least once every day for at least 4 days in a week. I got my finest training in being patient from home.

Sorry for the digression. Now, back to my Ma.

Things are just a tad not quite right when my Ma's not at home. Actually, she goes on short holidays quite often, with her kakis from temple. And because I've been feeling rather moody for no real reason these few days, I started to think about whether my Ma's not being here has something to do with my mood.

Ye. Upon retrospect, I realise I'm always slightly more moody and irritable when my Ma is somewhere further than the geographical boundaries of Singapore. Ironically, it is not vice versa. Meaning, if I was the one out of the country, I won't have that same kinda feeling. Hmm...

Anyway, for those of you family friends reading in, thank you for asking. My Ma and Janet are safe in Taiwan. The typhoon dampened their spirits but didn't cause them any hurt. In fact, I just called them and my Ma sounded excited that she's now VERY updated about the latest Taiwan TV series and Hokkien songs - her activity since she's stranded in the hotel.

Well done, Mummy. *beams*

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 22:16